Monday, April 7, 2008

women's retreat reflection


Josiah is wearing this little outfit a mentor of mine gave him. The bib says "veal the new beef" because in high school my nickname was 'beef'.
I know its weird, but I think its funny.

So, the women's retreat this weekend was just what I needed, sometimes you need to get out of the situation you are in in order to see what is going on. That is what happened to me. Here are a few things I learned. We read the Martha and Mary story in Luke 10 over and over again, focusing on different aspects of it.

1. I am distracted easily. This is the word that I identify with most.
2. "Lord, don't you care...?" (Luke 10) This is the phrase I am saying constantly, and Martha says this in the scripture.
3. I need to be who God has made me and that is a leader. If I choose not to use my leadership skills, I am disobeying God, and letting others down. For example, if I am in a setting in which I should use my leadership role and refuse, what happens is others around me also seem to loose confidence in themselves and their gifts. I see this happen when it is a spiritual setting, or even just friends deciding what game or movie.
4. well, this one I learned last week on Dan's blog about waking up intentionally apposed to having circumstances wake you up.

I'm glad to view my life in a new perspective, it is exciting and clears up the fogginess I have been feeling.

4 comments:

Emily Branca said...

Bethany, you are so amazing. I'm beyond thankful that I get to work side by side with you. Your presence is such a light, and an encouragement. I'm glad you got to come on the retreat, and I'm glad that God is moving in you!! Praise the Lord!! I hope you know that it is because of people like you in my life that I am able to win the constant battle with the struggles from my past.

Anna said...

Bethany I'm so glad that you came this weekend. I always enjoy spending time with you and now I love getting to see my new friend Josiah! He is so precious and I love the smiles and laughs that he gives me, they warm my heart. I will probably start stealing him from you during set up in the coming weeks! :)

Anonymous said...

I love that little boy!!!!!!!
-Rachel

Alyssa said...

thanks for sharing, I was struck by the same thing Martha said about it not being fair. Jesus words about Mary choosing the right thing and it not being taken from her was huge for me too. It made me think what am I choosing?