Monday, March 31, 2008

the Big Give

So, has anyone else caught the big give spirit? I love this show because the more I watch the more it inspires me that I can give what little I have and know that it is changing someones life, maybe not in a big way but God can use anything no matter how small.
Last night one of the contestants went to a house where the child had died just 1 hour ago. He really didn't know what to do, but he was there as a support and encourager. I mean, who wouldn't want a nice stranger who genuinely cared to help you through your grief. I know that sometimes it seems the kindest actions come from strangers. I think that it is because I don't expect someone to go out of their way to help another.
I really feel that God has given me something special that other people see constantly whether I see it or not. Strangers are always coming up to me for help of some sort. I mean its not like I'm bombarded, but it happens consistently when I go out. Sometimes I remember and I go a step farther than just help them, like see if I can pray for them, but other times I just don't want to interact with anyone and that's when I miss my chance to be part of what God is doing right then.
Its really too bad that I turn away the opportunity that I've been praying for for weeks. Everyday its a choice. One time I even helped a dog, and not just any dog, a pit bull, that was just wandering in the streets and was almost gonna get hit by a car. I knew there was a risk, but the dog looked more scared than about to attack. So, I hung out with Julian, I found out his name, for a couple of hours before I found his owner. He was such a good dog! It was so surprising for me, a person who is jumpy and a little afraid of dogs in general.

Anyways, moral of the story, give God what you have and be willing to be used in surprising and exciting ways!

1 comment:

Anna said...

That's cool Bethany. Matt and I really like that show too. It is very inspiring and I think it has totally shown us that even the little things make a differnce. I hope they do more seasons of it.

Did you get a chance to ask Patrick how I would do my "Ask Anna" blog?